Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sandals From the Husband + A Quick Fix

My husband has the best taste! (That’s why he picked me… ahh…old joke…) No, seriously. Whenever he gets me something, I always get the most compliments on that item. Whether it’s a scarf, a purse, shoes, necklace, you name it. If he got it for me, usually my friends and strangers are raving about it. I have to tell them, “Thanks, my husband got it for me.” Our conversation ends with, “Wow, he has a great taste!” Yes, yes he does! ;-) He got me cute little sandals from Baker's Shoes about 3 years ago.  So I wore them almost every single day! I love them. Comfy and so adorable. This is how they look after long years of wear… Sniff sniff. I tried my best to take good care of them, I wanted to keep them forever! I am sentimental with gifts from special people!

This picture doesn't do my dirty shoes justice.  They look(ed) a lot worse in person! When I spilled nail polish on them, I ALMOST tossed them… but I thought, I am sure I can fix them SOMEHOW. Cleaning them didn’t work. I thought about using pretty fabric. Mod Podge + Fabric = Voila. I don’t sew, so I didn’t have any scraps of fabric laying around. (I do hope to learn how to use a sewing machine one of these glorious days…) So that idea went out of the window.
I had some gold glitter left over from a recent project. Now, glittery shoes are something I have never worn before, but the picture in my head looked good and I gave it a go.

Mod Podge is my third best friend. (After my husband and O) ;-)
I applied Mod Podge to the shoes, and sprinkled glitter on top.  I used a big trash bag to work on.  After Mod Podge dried, okay, who am I kidding. I didn’t wait for anything to dry. Right away I dipped a brush into Triple Thick Glaze to cover the glitter. I worked on these sandals on my back porch. Glitter is messy, okay! I left the shoes outside for the rest of the evening and look at them! What do you think? This project took me about 30 minutes, I saved my beloved shoes and didn’t have to make a run to a store to get any of the supplies! I am one happy girl! ;) Not to mention, my husband was pretty proud of me! :)


Since glitter is not something I wear often, I didn't cover the whole shoe.  Less is definitely more in my book! And do you know what's the best part about these?! The glitter will never fall off! The glaze sealed the glitter and I won't have any glitter sticking to my toes or leaving its marks behind! Yay!


I can see myself wearing these on any occasion!  ;) Now I want to glitter-fy more of my shoes! ;)
Thank you for reading!  Hope you all have a wonderful day!  xo, m.





4 comments:

  1. Those turned out wonderful. I'm glad you didn't give up on them, they still have some good years left.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! Yes, I am happy I didn't toss them. I already wore them a few times ;) who knew I would wear glittery shoes! -M

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I'd love to do this too, but wondered how they feel when you're wearing them? I did this to my phone case and it was really rough, so hoping to hear yours are a bit smoother! :)

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly they are very smooth! I tried my best to smooth the glitter out. I wore them a few times already and it feels fine. I applied a ton of glaze! ;-) -Mika

      Delete

Sweet Comments