Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Paint The Front Door

My husband and I love to take walks around neighborhoods and look at the different houses and yards people have.  Front doors say a lot about a person's personality. Front door is the first impression you receive about the homeowner and the house. Today, I want to share a few tips and tricks on how I painted our front door.
Some of these tips will probably be very obvious and others might be more helpful, I have learned a lot while painting our door.
1. Pick out a color that speaks YOU. My husband suggested red, since he knows I love red. I have a lot of things that are red in/around our house already and also I've seen a ton of red front doors. I wanted something different, yet a color that I love. I picked out mint! Mint is a lovely color, it's right there with red for me.  The type of paint that we used was exterior satin enamel.
2. You want to pick a nice day. Duh. You don't want rain and you don't want it to be super cold. The door will have to stay open the whole time you're painting and after while it's drying.
3. You want to use a brush. The effect is so much prettier than a roller. 
4. You want to tape up everything you don't want paint on. Another obvious, but so important!!! My husband was kind to prep everything for me. He also laid out plastic for my work surface. You could use cardboard or big trash bags. Whatever you have handy. I also suggest keeping paper towels with a little bit of water near by, just in case! ;) Also, if you want to hang something on the doors to keep the flies and bugs away, you may. I didn't, because I didn't want to block out the light.
5. A friend of ours, an experienced painter, suggested to add two teaspoons of water to our paint so it will be a little thinner and easier to apply. Now I don't know if that works for all the paint out there, but it worked for us and it was helpful. 
6. Start painting!!! :) After you're done, make sure to let the paint dry before you start peeling the tape off. Very important step! We let our doors dry for about 3 hours before my husband started to take the tape off. The doors stayed open all day. We didn't want to risk closing them while the paint might not be dry all the way.
Before


After
It's a subtle change but we love it and it makes us happy! By now, you should be in the mood to change up your front door! :)  Thank you for letting me share a few tips with you! 
Happy Tuesday! M. 



5 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this color.
    I can't wait until I have a home to paint the door haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am so glad you love it also! ;) thank you!
      I am sure soon enough you will have your house! ;) -M

      Delete
  2. Front doors are more than just a separation from the house's exteriors and interiors. They also say a lot about the personality of those living in the house. That's why homeowners should make an effort in choosing their preferred door style and color. Congrats on a job well done!

    -Willene Fagen @ RoofingandMoreINC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your painting tips, M! You made the entire process look easy, from choosing the color, preparing the paint and door, to the painting itself. Red will make your door stunning, but mint created a soothing effect. Good choice of color!

    -Shirly Patillo @ Custom Contracting

    ReplyDelete
  4. “It's a subtle change but we love it and it makes us happy!” - This is the main purpose of renovations. It's not about how fancy the changes are. What's important is you're satisfied with the results. Anyway, your new door looks cute. I can imagine a mint candy as I look at it. Hehe! Its been months now, and I hope you maintained the neatness of this door. :)

    Kristopher Diss @ BlairGCRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Comments